Sunday, July 1, 2007

Use a lint remover roller to test for chemotherapy hair loss



Not quite sure if you’re losing your hair yet? One way to find out is to use a masking tape lint remover roller on your head. If you end up with hair on the sticky side of the tape, most likely you’re losing your hair.

A couple of weeks after my buzz job I mentioned to my sister, Diane, that I didn’t think my hair had started falling out yet because I hadn’t seen any short hairs on my pillow or clothing. I told her that maybe I should use some scotch tape on my head and see if any hair comes out on the sticky side of the tape. She said, “Why don’t you use a lint remover instead? It would be easier and faster.” What a great idea! I got out my masking tape lint remover roller and began rolling it all over my stubbles. Guess what? There were short hairs all over the tape. Then I became obsessed with removing all of the hair that I could, so for the next half-hour and 20 strips of masking tape later I ran the roller over my head, each time pulling out more stubble. Then I began to worry that my hair may not grow back at all if I continued pulling it out by the roots, so I put the roller back in the drawer. This ended up not to be true, in fact my hair grew back thicker after chemotherapy.

There might be other ways to determine whether or not you’re losing your hair, but the above method worked for me. If you have another process that worked for you, please share it.