Saturday, June 30, 2007

Get a buzz job before your first chemotherapy treatment


My oncologist told me that I would start losing my hair approximately 2.5 weeks after my first chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer and that I should get my head shaved before that time because it would be less traumatic than watching my hair fall out in big clumps. Since I was starting a new job the day after my first chemo treatment, I decided to get my head shaved right away. I certainly didn’t want to be with a customer when a clump of hair dropped onto my shoulder. How would I explain that?

So I went to my hairdresser (the same one who cut my hair and dyed it red) and told her I was ready for my first buzz job. The transformation from fiery redhead to GI Jane was interesting, to say the least. I watched as my new red ringlets dropped on the floor all around me. Where did all that hair come from? She swept it up into a pile while I stared at myself in the mirror. The most interesting part of the process was seeing myself bald (well, almost bald). She hadn’t shaved my head completely, so stubble remained. Other than looking like a boy, it wasn’t that bad. I could handle it, besides I had my new sexy straight wigs. I always wanted straight hair and now I could have it.

My advice to breast cancer patients is to have your head shaved and wear a wig or go completely bald and wear large hoop earrings. Forget wearing head scarves and turbans unless you want to look like you're undergoing chemotherapy. If you shave your head, you'll just look trendy or hip, in fact you might even want to get a tattoo. When you wear a wig, if it's a natural-looking one, people will just think that you've changed your hairstyle.