Saturday, June 23, 2007

Try a new radical hairstyle before you start chemotherapy


When I found out that I was definitely going to lose my hair because of the chemotherapy cocktail that I would be given, I decided that I wanted a new hairstyle --- something radical that I would be afraid to try under normal circumstances. I scheduled an appointment with a hairstylist and told her that I wanted her to cut my hair short and dye it red.

It may seem silly, since I would be losing all of my red hair in just a few weeks. Actually there was no better time because what if I didn't like my new do? Not to worry! I wouldn't have it very long.

My hairstylest performed her magic and after the initial shock wore off I found that I really did like my new short curly red hair, in fact I loved it! It wasn’t auburn or strawberry blond, burgundy or chestnut with red highlights. It was pure red, bright and warm red-red. I couldn't wait to show it off. It gave me something to look forward to, for a change.

My advice to other breast cancer patients who are facing chemotherapy:
If you have ever wondered what you would look like in a different hairstyle or hair color, now is the time find out. What have you got to lose besides your hair?