Saturday, July 14, 2007

If you've lost your hair invite a bald guy over




Even though my friends and family told me how beautiful I looked with no hair --- that I had a great-shaped head and should go bald all the time --- it didn’t seem to matter what they said. Whenever I looked in the mirror I saw an alien.

I decided that the only way I would feel better was to invite my bald friend, Norm, over because he might understand what I was going through. Norm started losing his hair at an early age and has been shaving his head ever since. When I first met him a few years ago at the Portland Art Museum I thought his shaved head looked sexy and exotic. Maybe he would think the same about mine.

Norm’s my buddy and we have a lot in common. We’re both techno-nerds and perfectionists with matching IQs and now, matching heads. Besides everything else he’s done for me, I know that I can always count on him for a good laugh, and if ever I needed one, it was now.

Well, my idea worked. As soon as I opened the front door and saw him standing there with his bald head and big grin I felt better already. Two glasses of wine later we were cracking up laughing as we compared our shiny domes in the mirror. One noticeable difference was our head size. Was his head really big or was mine just small? If we were seen in public together people might think we had been cast in a sci-fi movie.

The important thing is, he made me feel normal again. He was kind, loving and funny and he told me that my bald head was beautiful --- that I looked great with no hair. Yes, I know it was the same thing my family and friends told me, but it sounded different coming from him (one baldy to another).

So my advice is, if you’re feeling a little depressed because you’ve lost all of your hair due to chemotherapy, invite a bald person to dinner. I promise it will cheer you up.